Friday 19 December 2008

Portrait of Something I Will Never Really See

Portrait of Something I Will Never Really See, 2008


"When I first saw this image I didn't particularly like it, but the more that I looked at it the more I enjoyed the provocation that it gave to a whole number of trains of thought. Obviously the thoughts were circling around the fact that he wouldn't ever see himself in the way that others would see himself, and the idea of one not being able to ever achieve perceptions of the self from outside of the self, and the impossibility of that and yet the musing over what that might have been like to encounter oneself. But also there was something of the nature of the death mask to this image and the connections of the image with forensic photography and then again thinking about an encounter with one's own death or mortality. So I guess it was a trigger for a lot of personal thoughts that led me to think this was quite a strong image in the end"

Ok, so this wasn't said about my image, but the image produced by Gavin Turk & Anthony Oliver, coincedently also titled 'Portrait of Something I Will Never Really See'.

No comments:

 

web statistics